Thursday, 24 November 2011

NaBloPoMo day 24 - Lee Maelzer's The Hypnosis of Error at Poppy Sebire

Lee Maelzer's paintings are uneasy, turning the familiar into mournful and sometime spooky views of the world. This one was like the beginning of a modern fairy tale to me, but I turned that on its head somewhat for my 100 word story to go with it. You can see Lee Maelzer's exhibition at Poppy Sebire until 23rd December.

Fright, courtesy of Lee Maelzer

It wasn’t Betty at the window, because she was right behind me with the paraffin lamp. It wasn’t anybody, I realised; just a shred of curtain turning in the breeze.

“Call that spring cleaning?” I asked her, nodding up at it.

“I’ve not been down,” she frowned. “Raccoons, maybe?” Rascals.” Then she dropped the lamp as we both caught sight of the smoke. “Jesus, Mike. Did you come back and fix it?” she said.

I shook my head. “Nope. Still leaking.” We stepped backwards in unison, turned, and as we ran the blast of heat and thunder pounded our backs.


No comments:

Post a Comment