Sunday, 13 November 2011

NaBloPoMo day 13 - Nicola Hicks' Aesop's Fables at Flowers Kingsland Road

I like nothing more than a helping of myth, and it's an extra pleasure that here it appears in sculptural form. Nicola Hicks has taken moments from Aesops' Fables and made them three dimensional, in a show that you can see until 19th November at Flowers Gallery Kingsland Road. Below the image is my 100-word flash fiction inspired by the piece, continuing the series for NaBloPoMo.

Nicola Hicks' Dan's Story, courtesy of Nicola Hicks

“Who will trust?”
The cry goes up and the crowds hush.
“Who will give a son and gain a prince?”
They always bribe a desperate one to come forward first. She hands over her babe, lip quivering, bewitched by her own deed. He is placed on the beast’s back, gurgling, “Mamama?”
“A prince!” hails the crier. Another woman steps up, and another, until four firstborn sons are astride the lion. They roll and grab and tousle mane. The lion groans; a mother faints. But murmurs from the crowd grow into cheers as the babes crow, and receive their shining crowns.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog through NaBloPoMo at BlogHer. I love microflash fiction and the idea of combining a 100-word story with a photo is great**! I had heard of ekphrasis, but I like this better.

    **So great I might have to steal it and try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael. I am interested in ekphrasis too, having just discovered the concept, but I think it's probably even harder trying to be completely true to a piece. Please feel free to take the idea and run with it!

    ReplyDelete